Winter sun doesn’t have to mean long-haul flights and jet-lag. For gentle sun, look no further afield than family-friendly Tenerife and the other Canary Islands, Malta, Cyprus, the Algarve, Madeira and the Azores.
There are also a number of medium-haul winter sun options, including Cape Verde, Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia and Jordan. Meanwhile, the likes of Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Oman are only just in the long-haul category (flights take about seven hours). The Middle East as a whole starts to cool down from October but is best saved for February half-term.
For warmth without jet-lag, South Africa is a great choice – its summer lasts from November to February but isn't excessively hot, while its winter months are pleasant. Other winter sun favourites are Florida, the Caribbean, Thailand, Zambia, and Mauritius, Sri Lanka and other Indian Ocean destinations.
See our great deals and latest offers with winter sun partners:
• Beaches: Lively all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean.
• Walt Disney World Resort: Epic Florida themepark with a wide choice of on-site accommodation.
• James Villas: Family rentals from the Med to Florida and the Caribbean.
• First Choice: Popular all-inclusive resorts in the Med, the Canaries and further-flung destinations including Mexico and the Caribbean.
• Club Med: All-inclusives with activities and childcare, all over the world.
• TUI: Popular family package holidays from Europe to the likes of Florida and Mexico, often with free child places.
• Beachcomber: luxury tailor-made family holidays in the Indian Ocean.
Check out other winter sun holidays in Europe, Latin America, Africa and the Middle East, Asia, and Australia and the Pacific. And see also our Christmas family holiday ideas, half-term holiday ideas and Easter holiday ideas.